Crete is certainly a unique destination, which is why you’ve probably considered planning a vacation there. The natural splendor of the place granted by the outstanding contrast between the turquoise sea and imposing mountains is truly magnificent. Nonetheless, before traveling to a new location, it is common sense to try to make your stay there as enjoyable. How can you accomplish that? It’s simple, by avoiding doing the following things.
- Don’t expect to enjoy a cheap vacation
Even though, a while ago, Crete used to be a cheap traveling destination, that isn’t the case any longer. The prices can be genuinely over the top. However, it’s true that they depend on your traveling style, and the vacation you choose to have. For instance, if you wish to plan a low budget vacation, stay away from fancy, high-end resorts, and try to appreciate the local and traditional flavor, and you’ll be on the right path.
- Don’t be the prey of pickpockets
Even though Crete is an overall safe destination, thieves exist here as well. Most thefts don’t occur from behalf of locals since a Cretan is less likely to humiliate himself with pickpocketing. Nonetheless, foreigners often practice this. Thereupon, it’s highly recommended to pay attention to your belongings, particularly while visiting top tourists attractions, where the abundance of crowds makes pickpocketing easy.
- Don’t assume that you need to speak Greek
If you’re staying at a tourist resort, it goes without saying that you won’t be required to know Greek. However, as you step away from the resort area, older people, in particular, are less likely to speak English. Even so, most of the times, the locals have a limited knowledge of English, at the very least. The bottom line is that you shouldn’t worry about that since the Cretans are nothing like the French, who expect you to be fluent in French. They’ll try to communicate with you when asked.
- Don’t anticipate you have to dress in a particular manner
When you’re in Crete, you can dress how you please. Dressing casually is not frowned upon. Nonetheless, there are some exceptions you should keep count of, namely, in monasteries and churches, you should always have your knees and shoulders covered. Note that this is expected of both men and women.
- Don’t expect to find poisonous snakes
While there aren’t any poisonous snakes in Crete, you should pay attention to scorpions. They can be found anywhere, under stones, walking around, or in dry wood. If a scorpion does bite you, however, you shouldn’t panic. Even though it hurts, it isn’t dangerous.
- Don’t forget to book your airport transfer
When traveling to an exciting destination, such as Crete, you probably want to get the most out of your stay there. It’s obvious. In order to accomplish that, you should take the time to book your Crete airport transfers prior getting there. Why? You won’t have to wait in line to get a taxi at the airport, and you’ll be driven quickly and comfortably at your accommodation in no time.
- The best beaches for long weekend getaways
- How to Find Reliable Transport From and To Prague Airport
- Luxembourg City – Ever returned from a short break feeling you need another?
- Best Things To Do With Your Partner in Rome
- Corfu Beach
- An Irish Weekend in Dublin
- Greece: planning a great family vacation
- Best Pubs and Bars in Paris
- What Not to Do While in Crete
- Best things to do in Fira Santorini
- Visit Bath, England and Enjoy a Rooftop Swim in the Thermal Waters