We’ve all heard the saying, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” Few visitors have considered doing as the Romans did when in Bath, however, you certainly can!
London to Bath by Rail
The train journey itself through the West of England countryside is stunning and the view of Bath, with its golden-hued Bath stone buildings nestled among green hills is a remarkable sight upon your approach by train into Bath Spa.
This famous, medieval city is just 100 miles from London. Therefore, it is an easy day trip from London which does not require an overnight stay. Just grab your jacket and a bathing suit and head for Paddington Station in Bayswater, Central London. Trains depart about every half hour for the 90-minute journey direct on First Great Western rail, a bit faster and much easier than traveling by car, especially for international visitors. For luxury hotels and resorts visit www.luxury-resort-guide.com and book your hotel now.
See the Roman Baths
Upon arriving at the station known as Bath Spa, you’ll find it is less than a ten minute walk to the number one sight, the Roman Baths, constructed in about A.D. 60. Here, around a natural hot underground spring bubbling up at nearly 115 degrees fahrenheit, the Romans built a magnificent temple and bath spa where visitors can walk today upon the ancient stones. The self-guided audio tour commentary is excellent and included in the admission. Plan on an hour inside the well-preserved Roman spa. Check out the rising steam above green pools, learn how bathers used the Frigidarium, the cold pool, and the Sacred Spring some 2,000 years ago and then head for your own bath in Bath.
- The best beaches for long weekend getaways
- Luxembourg City – Ever returned from a short break feeling you need another?
- Best Things To Do With Your Partner in Rome
- Corfu Beach
- An Irish Weekend in Dublin
- Greece: planning a great family vacation
- Best Pubs and Bars in Paris
- What Not to Do While in Crete
- Best things to do in Fira Santorini
- Visit Bath, England and Enjoy a Rooftop Swim in the Thermal Waters
- A Typical Night Out in Mykonos – What To Do